about Göktürk Üçoluk:
- Received his BS and MS in Physics from Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, in the years '80 and '82 respectively.
- In '82 he moved to Middle
East Technical University, Ankara, joined the Physics Department, where
he has done a Ph.D. in theoretical physics. His
supervisor was Tekin Dereli. The PhD., completed
'89, reads as: "An Exterior Calculus Package for REDUCE and Dimensional Reduction fo Generalised Theories of Gravity".
This was a two legged PhD.: one in Theo.Physics, the other in Symbolic
Algebraic Manipulation (also known as Computer Algebra). The first
required to understand what Einstein could/couldn't do; the
second required to gain an extensive expertise in LISP.
- During his Ph.D. study he
lectured at the Department of a Computer Engineering LISP and Prolog
Programming course, as a parttime lecturer.
- In this period of time he
and Tuğrul Yılmaz, another theoretical physicist, have
rewritten a LISP interpreter for the LISP dialect known as
Utah Standart Lisp. The original the work was of Ersin Karabudak
and Cüneyt Eren. This was the first complete C coded, register
based open source free Lisp interpreter. Later
Üçoluk and Yılmaz have olso written a
LISP to C cross-compiler. Both of this software is
available and world wide in use.
- In '89 he joined the Department of a Computer Engineering as an assistant professor, where he still is a member of.
- At the Department of a Computer Engineering he served/s as the Vice Chair of Department for over 6 years.
- He participated several SW development projects including the C3I project for the Turkish Armed Forces Headquarter.
- Currently he mostly teaches Ceng 111 and Ceng 140.
- Since '82 his main academical area of interest is Evolutionary Computing.
is involved in the International Olympiad Informatics activities.
Since '83 he is in the academic team that is
responsible of the sellection and training of the National Team. In the
year of '99 Turkey was also the host of this
activity. Over 75 countries participated. Üçoluk was the chair of the
- He is a radio amateur and an amateur photographer.
- Having a background in Physics, he has a broad interest in all what requires 'intelligence' and 'modelling'.
- And he defines 'intelligence' (in the quest for AI) as "the process of conversion of the ill- or un-structured knowledge into structered one".