- Göktürk Üçoluk
- Bogaziçi University, Physics, BS, (1975-1980)
- Bogaziçi University, Physics, MS, (1980-1982)
- Middle East Technical University. Physics, Ph.D.,
EMPLOYMENT and POSTS:
- Physics dept., Bogaziçi University, Math. Dept.,
Computer Center, Teaching Assistant, (l978-1982)
- Software development consultant, British Telecom,
Artificial Intel. Research div., London, (Summer 1986)
- Physics Dept., METU [Middle East Technical University],
research assistant, (1983-1990)
- Dept. of Computer Engineering, METU, Assis. Prof.
- Vice Chairman of the department. (1991-1994)
- Executive Committee for Olimpiads on Informatics, Head,
TÜBITAK, BAYG, (1993-1994,1996-till now)
- Computer Science Dept., University College London, Visiting
Prof., Lecturer, (1994-1995). (On leave from Dept. of Computer Eng.
- Commission of Computer and Informatics, METU, (in the
service of Rector's office), Member. (1995-till now)
- Assistant to the Chairperson of the department. (1997-2000)
- Elected member of the Faculty Committee of the Engineering
Faculty of METU, (1996-1997)
- Dept. of Computer Engineering, METU, Assoc. Prof.
- Director of METU-YGM, Software Development Center, founded
as a joint venture of METU, TTGV and UNDP. (1996-1999)
- Chair of 11. International Olympiad in Informatics, Antalya
- Secretary General of International Olympiad in Informatics
- Member of International Committee of IOI.
- Acting Chair of the department. (Fall 2000)
- Member of Board of Management, ULAKBIM, TÜBITAK
- Director of TSK-ODTU MODSIMMER, Center of Modelling and
Simulation founded as a joint venture of Turkish Military Forces and
Middle East Tech. Univ. (2001-2002)
- G. Üçoluk, A. Hacinliyan, E. Karabudak, ``A
Proposal for Extensions to REDUCE'', ACM SIGSAM bul., 16, 2
- G. Üçoluk, ``Computer Aided Algebraic
Computations in Physics'', MS thesis, Bogaziçi University,
- G. Üçoluk, E. Karabudak, ``ALISP - An Algol
syntax LISP'' Exeter Univ. Comp. Sci. Dept. Publication, (1982)
- G. Üçoluk, E. Karabudak, ``LED - A LISP
editor'' Exeter Univ. Comp. Sci. Dept. Publication, (1982)
- G. Üçoluk, ``An Exterior Calculus Package
for REDUCE and Dimensional Reduction of Generalised Theories of
Gravity'' Ph.D. Thesis, METU, (1989)
- T. Dereli, G. Üçoluk, ``Direct
Curvature-Yang-Mills Field Couplings Induced by the Kaluza-Klein
reduction of Euler Form Actions in Seven Dimensions'' Class. Q.
Grav. 7, 533 (1990)
- T. Dereli, G. Üçoluk, ``Kaluza-Klein
Reduction of Generalised Theories of Gravity and Non-minimal Gauge
Couplings''. Class. Q. Grav. 7, 1109 (1990)
- G. Üçoluk, T. Dereli, ``A Study of
Stationary, Axially Symmetric Space-Time Geometries Satisfying Modified
Double Duality Equations Using the Exterior Calculus Package XTR for
REDUCE'' J. Comp. Phys. 99, 169 (1993).
- G. Üçoluk, U. Halici, Proceeding of Conference
on Philosophical, Social and Juristical Aspects of AI, Ankara, (1993),
- G. Üçoluk, ``Level of Consciousness as an
Evaluation Criteria for Natural and Artificial Intelligence: A Life
Independent Approach'' in Proceedings of ISCIS XI, 651, Antalya,
- G. Üçoluk, T. Yilmaz, E. Karabudak, A C
Portable LISP Interpreter and Compiler. Dept. of.Computer Eng.,
METU, Technical Report, TR-97-2 (1997)
- G. Üçoluk, ``A Method for Chromosome
Handling of r-Permutation of n-Element Set in Genetic Algorithms''
in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary
Computation '97, pp 80-85, Indianapolis (1997).
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, A Method for
Improving Automatic Word Categorization Proceedings of the
International Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning
(CoNLL 97), Madrid (1997)
- G. Üçoluk, I. Hakki Toroslu, ``A Genetic
Algorithm Approach for Verification of the Syllable Based Text
Compression Technique'' Journal of Information Science, 23-5
Elsevier, London, (1997).
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, Choosing A Distance
Metric For Improving Automatic Word Categorization Proceedings of
the International Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning
(NeMLaP3/CoNLL98), Sydney (1998)
- G. Üçoluk, I. Hakki Toroslu, ``Automatic
Reconstruction of Broken 3-D Surface Objects'' Computers &
Graphics, 23-4, pp 573-582, Pergamon, (1999)
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, Genetic Programming
for Grammer Induction Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary
Computation Conference, GECCO-2001. pp:GP:180. San Francisco, CA:
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, (2001)
- O.T. Sehitoglu, G. Üçoluk, A Building Block
Favoring Reordering Method for Gene Positions in Genetic Algorithms
Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference,
GECCO-2001. pp:GA:571. San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers,
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, Controlled Genetic
Programming Search for Solving Deceptive Problems Proceedings of
the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO-2002. New
- G. Üçoluk, ``Genetic Algorithm Solution of
the TSP Avoiding Special Crossover and Mutation'' Intelligent
Automation and Soft Computing , 8(3) TSI Press,
- O.T. Sehitoglu, G. Üçoluk, Gene Level
Concurrency in Genetic
Algorithms Proceedings of ISCIS-2003, LNCS 2869, pp:976,
Springer Verlag, (2003)
- M.T. Yöndem, G. Üçoluk, A Realistic Success Criterion for
Discourse Segmentation Proceedings of ISCIS-2003, LNCS
2869, pp:592, Springer Verlag, (2003)
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, Design and Usage of
a New Benchmark
Problem for Genetic Programming Proceedings of
ISCIS-2003, LNCS 2869, pp:561, Springer Verlag, (2003)
- E. Korkmaz, G. Üçoluk, ``A Controlled
Genetic Programming Approach for the Deceptive Domain'' IEEE
Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, 34(4),
- COMPUTER SCIENCE & ENGINEERING RELATED
- Dept. of Computer Eng., METU, ``Lectures on the
language REDUCE and LISP'', (March 1982, one week invited talk).
- Physics Dept., METU, ``Symbolic Computation with
REDUCE'', (1982-1983, One semester seminar)
- Dept. of Computer Eng., METU, ``Data Query with
PROLOG'' (1983-1984, Invited lectures in a graduate course on
- Dept. of Computer Eng., METU, ``LISP, PROLOG and
their applications'', (1985-1988, One semester senior course [CENG
- Physics Dept., METU, ``Computational Physics'',
Co-lecturer, (1987-1988, One semester graduate course)
- Turkish Military Forces, Head Quarter, Lecturer,
(1991-1999 OBI Officer Training Program, Periods:II,III,IV,VI,VII,IX;
Eight undergrad level courses, organized by SEM-METU)
- ERDEMIR, Lecturer, (1992,1997, Programming in ANSI C,
two lectures of 60 hours each, organized by SEM-METU).
- ASELSAN, Lecturer, (1997, C Programming, one
lecture of 52 hours, organized by SEM-METU)
- University College London, Computer Science Department,
Visiting Prof., (1994-1995, two undergrad courses on C programming
and Programming with Miranda)
- Dept. of Computer Eng., METU, (1989-present, Teaching
various undergrad. and grad. courses in PL, AI, OOP, SAM.)
- Symposium on National Planning and Development
in computer science, KTU, 1981, academic program, ``Improvement
Activities at Bogazici University on SAM''
- 4. National Physics Congress, TFD, Hacettepe University,
1982 ``REDUCE activities at BU and Applications in Physics''
- 6. National Physics Congress, TFD, TUBITAK-Gebze, 1984, ``A
REDUCE Package to Perform Exterior Calculus''
- Physics Dept., METU, 1989, ``Neural Computing''
- ``Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, [SAM]'', 1990,
- Reginonal Seminar on Expert Systems and Microcomputers,
- TAINN, First National seminar on AI and NN, Bilkent
- TAINN, Second National seminar on AI and NN,
Bogaziçi University, 1993.
- Conferance on Philosophical, Social and Juristical
Aspects of AI, Ankara, 1993, Organizer, Editor.
- TAINN, Third National seminar on AI and NN, METU, 1994,
Programm committee (member), Organization committee (chair).
- D. Ede, ``Automated Geometry Theorem Proving''
- A, Ergül, ``A Genetic Algorithm Solution to the
Time-table and Scheduling Problem'' (1995) [MS] [completed under
supervision of Dr. Halit Oguztüzün]
- Y. Çeken, ``Automated Reconstruction of Broken 3-D
Solid Objects'' (1995) [MS]
- Y. Çiftçisoy, ``A Compression Algorithm for
Turkish Texts'' (1996) [MS]
- E. Korkmaz, ``A Method for Automatic Word
Categorization'' (1997) [MS]
- A. Arslan, ``DARWIN - A Genetic Algorithm Language Desing
and its C Cross Compiler Implementation'' (1999) [MS]
- O.T. Sehitoglu, ``Gene Reordering and Concurrency in
Genetic Algorithms'' (2002) [PhD]
International Scientific Activities:
- Computer Science Dept., Exeter University, England
(Summer 1982) [Participated research activities on AI]
- Computer Science Dept., University College London,
(Summer 1986) British Council Support. [Participated R & D
activities on Expert Systems and Fuzzy Logic]
- Computing in High Energy Physics, Conference, Oxford,
- Institute for Theoretical Physics, Karlsruhe, Germany
(Summer 1989) [Research related to Ph.D.]
- ISCIS VII, Seventh International Symposium on Computer
and Information Sciences, Antalya, 1992. [Member of the organizing
- Computer Science Dept., University College London,
(1994-1995, 9 months) [Visiting Professor]
- ISCIS XI, Eleventh International Symposium on Computer
and Information Sciences, Antalya, 1996. [Member of the programm
- IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation
(ICEC 97), Indianapolis (1997)
- 11.International Olympiad in Informatics, 1999 Host
activities (see: www.ioi99.org.tr)
- Development of a fully portable, C coded
LISP interpreter and a compiler that compiles LISP to C. This
work was a joint effort of G. Üçoluk (METU), T. Yilmaz
(METU) and E. Karabudak (Univ. of Michigan), This product is
distributed as an academic work (free of charge) and is demanded from
over 200 cites all over the World.
- Implementation of a SAM language, ORTOCARTAN on UNIVAC
1106. The task was to implement the Texas LISP dialect on the Univac.
- A PROLOG interpreter coded in STD-LISP.
- A parser/translator for an expert system front-end that
will convert user given rules into LISP clauses. This work was done at
British Telecom, as part of an ESPRIT project.
- As a part of the Ph.D, development of a extension package
to REDUCE which makes Exterior Algebra calculations possible. The
implementation language is LISP.
- Various facilities for REDUCE, most of them became part
of the REDUCE system itself.
- Commercial programming, mainly in C, C++, Pascal, DBASE,
PROLOG, LISP and Assembler.
- METU Revolving Fund Research Project, 88-01-05-02,
``Development of Data Analysis and Model Simulation Techniques in
Experimental Research'', $35,000, Researcher.
- METU Revolving Fund Infrastructure Project, 92-03-00-01,
``Construction of the Lab. Infrastructure for the C.Eng. Service
Courses'', $80,000, Project Manager.
- METU Revolving Fund Research Project, 92-03-12-01,
``Realization of a Fully Portable LISP Interpreter and Compiler'',
1992, $12,000, Project Manager.
- NATO-SFS Project, ``Turkish Natural Language Processing
Initiative'', 1993, $700,000, Research Associate.
- TUBITAK-BILTEN Project, ``Design and Implementation of
Evolutionary Computing Programming Language'', 1996, Project Manager.
- ATOS (Aselsan,TUBITAK,ODTU,STM) Consorsium for CCCI
realization for the Turkish Military Forces Headquarter, 1997,
Technical Head of ODTU (METU) side.
LISP, PROLOG, Miranda, ML, C, C++, PASCAL, PL/1, FORTRAN, ALGOL, BASIC,
REDUCE, MACSYMA, SCHEME, SNOBOL, MAPPLE, GPSS, Java.
Assemblers:[80x86,680x0, Z80, 6502].
UNIX, VMS, CP/M, DOS
- Fluent in English and German.
Born June 11, 1958; Married; Has two daughters of age 22 and 4 years.
18 August 2004