CENG789 - Digital Geometry Processing
Objective: Digital Geometry Processing is a subfield of Computer Graphics. This introductive course teaches the geometry processing pipeline, which involves acquisition, analysis, manipulation, and printing. The practical applications implemented throughout the course content will make the student comfortable in engineering, medical, entertainment (VFX/games), and many other related disciplines that make heavily use of 3D mesh models.
Syllabus: As one file.
- Surface Representation
- Polygons and Triangulations
- Point Sets
- Mesh Data Structures and 3D Graphics Programming
- Distances and Sampling on Meshes
- Descriptors on Meshes
- Mesh Smoothing and Decimation
- Mesh Repairing and Tetrahedral Meshes
- Surface Reconstruction
- Mesh Parameterization
- Mesh Registration (Rigid-body)
- Mesh Deformation
- Data-driven Shape Analysis
- 3D Printing
- 40%: 2 Programming Assignments
- 40%: Term Project
- 20%: Final Exam
Time & Place: Tue 14:40-17:30 & A101
Textbook: None. Lecture notes will be sufficient. Use "Polygon Mesh Processing" by Botsch et al. as a reference.
Prerequisites : C/C++ programming required. Some background in Computer Graphics is helpful, but not necessary.
Instructor: Yusuf Sahilliošlu. Office: B107. Come in anytime when I'm in the office. Email: email@example.com
You may implement a research paper published at ACM TOG
journals. You may also pick one of my recommendations below, or propose your own project idea. More options available in the Potential Project Topics part of each each slide set above.
- Synthesize a new shape using the existing population.
- Multiple shape correspondence, i.e., match all the shapes in a collection at once.
- Topology-varying shape morphing.
- Sketch-based scene composition
- Facial performance capture, a real-time registration task. See also this.
- 3D printing.
- Mesh simplification.
- Normal orientation correction.
- Shape descriptors.
- Shape retrieval.
- Mesh segmentation.
- Character posing.
- Constructive solid geometry.
- Mesh subdivision.
- Tetrahedral mesh decimation.
- Geographic Information System (GIS), LiDAR.
Back to the home page