Emre Akbas, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Engineering
Middle East Technical University
Bilgisayar Mühendisliği Bölümü
Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi
Çankaya / Ankara 06800 Turkey
emre at ceng.metu dot edu dot tr
+90 312 210 5522
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Supervised by Prof Narendra Ahuja, 2011
- Recipient of “COGS/AI Award” from the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology.
- MS, Middle East Technical University (METU), Department of Computer Engineering, Supervised by Prof Fatos Yarman Vural, 2006
- “Best thesis of the year award” by the Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences at METU.
- BS, Middle East Technical University, Department of Computer Engineering, 2004
- Ranked 1st in the graduating class of 2004.
- Ankara Fen Lisesi (Ankara High School of Science), 1999
Please see this page.
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Vision and Image Understanding Lab, UCSB. 2012-2015
- Research assistant at the Computer Vision and Robotics Lab., Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, UIUC. 2006-2011
- Research intern at the Vision Technology, Inc., Champaign, IL. Summer 2009
- Teaching assistant at the Department of Computer Engineering, METU. 2004-2006
- Research assistant at the Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Lab., Department of Computer Engineering, METU. 2004-2006
- Software engineer at Informatics Institute, METU. 2003-2005
- Software development intern at Software Research and Development Center, METU. Summer 2001
- TUBITAK 3501 Career Development Grant. October 2017 - October 2020. Budget: 225K ₺.
- TUBITAK* Re-integration Fellowship (2232 Yurda Dönüş Araştırma Burs Programı). Jan 2016 - Jan 2018
- Tesla K-40 GPU card donated by NVIDIA through the GPU Grant Program. Jan 2016
* TUBITAK: Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey
- Program committee member, CVPR 2018.
- Refereed papers for IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU), and Journal of Mathematical Psychology.
- Program committee member for Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV), 2012 and 2014.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding reviewer at ACCV 2014. Outstanding reviewers were nominated from over 600 reviewers by Area Chairs based on the quality of their reviews. 2014
- Recipient of “COGS/AI Award” from the Beckman Institute. 2010
- Research assistantship, sponsored by Prof. Narendra Ahuja, at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, UIUC. 2006-2011
- M.S. thesis was given the “Best thesis of the year award” by the Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences at METU. 2006
- Ranked 1st in class, among 86 BS graduates of the Department of Computer Engineering. 2004
- Listed in METU President’s High Honors List in all semesters. 2000-2006
- Ranked within the top 0.04% out of 1.5 million candidates taking the national university entrance exam.